Pulp, Paper Converting and PrintingThis vertical group of industries touches everyone every day. At every point in the process of going from pulp to print these bearings have to meet the highest standards. In the initial phase of creating paper the rolling bearings in a paper machine must meet extreme requirements: Moisture, very high temperatures, shaft deflections, high speeds and long running times. The term “paper conversion” refers to the processes used to turn raw paper material into other products. These finished products—e.g., books, newspapers, packaging, labeling, etc.—are used in nearly every sector and industry. As a result, in the United States alone, the paper converting and printing industry is estimated to be approximately $400 million and rising. The technologies used in paper converting and printing operations often rely on bearings to achieve precise, accurate, and smooth performance. If you need bearings for your paper converting and printing applications, the experts at Emerson Bearing have got you covered.
Overview of Paper Converting and PrintingDespite the growth of the digital world, the paper converting and printing industry remains a major player in the global economy. From newspapers to books to mailed and shipped items, paper products are an integral—yet often overlooked—part of our day to day lives. The complete paper conversion process begins with raw material and ends with a finished product. It can include the following steps:
- Gathering raw fibers and melting it into pulp
- Bleaching, straining, flattening, and drying the pulp into a continuous roll of paper
- Cutting the master roll of paper into more manageable sizes
- Cutting and shaping the smaller rolls in the desired shape and size
- Slitting/Rewinding. This method involves unwinding and feeding the master roll through a series of blades to cut and slit the paper into smaller widths and then rewinding the cut/slit paper into new rolls.
- Precision Roll Sawing. This method involves cutting and slitting the master roll into smaller widths without unwinding and rewinding it.
What Are the Key Benefits of Paper Conversion?The paper converting and printing industry affects our day to day lives in many ways, including with regard to the following:
- Products/Packaging. Many products we use on a daily basis are made from paper. In the consumer sector, we regularly utilize books, newspapers, magazines, and bags, while most—if not all—industrial and commercial companies use some form of paper packaging (e.g., boxes, cartons, packing paper, etc.) for their products.
- The industry has made significant advancements toward improving its environmental footprint. In addition to reducing its consumption of fossil fuels during the production of paper products, it has developed methods of recycling old and used paper products into new materials and products. The latter is important for reducing the overall size of landfills.
Bearing Solutions for Paper Converting and PrintingMany paper converting and printing systems use bearings to facilitate the rolling, cutting, and unrolling of paper materials. However, the type of bearing employed in the system varies depending on the production requirements. For example, slitters and rewinders require high-speed bearings and high-accuracy linear motion bearings. At Emerson Bearings, we provide the following bearing solutions for paper converting and printing applications:
- Ball and roller bearings
- Cylindrical roller bearings
- Spherical roller bearings
- Free Running bearings
- One-way clutch bearings
- Cam followers
- Mounted units
- Oil seals