Robotics and AutomationRobotics and automation solutions require the highest standards in bearings. All movements have to be supported with extremely high precision and reliability in every axis. This provides smooth running, high load capacity, rigidity and long life. Recent advancements in computing power, software development methods, and networking technology have made it faster, easier, and less expensive to assemble, install, and maintain robotic solutions. In the industrial sector, one of the primary use cases for robotic technology is the automation of production operations to increase efficiency and safety. These automation solutions can be categorized into three main classifications: fixed automation, programmable automation, and flexible automation. Fixed automation involves using a specific equipment configuration to perform a specific sequence of processing operations. Programmable automation allows for reprogramming of production equipment to suit different product batches. Flexible automation is an extension of programmable automation that accommodates a limited number of products to reduce changeover time required for equipment between different product batches. The success of all of these automation solutions hinges on the use of high-quality bearings. Robotic and automation technologies utilize bearings to perform accurate and precise motions. If and when they are designed and constructed properly, they provide smooth, effective, and efficient performance. Regardless of your industry or application, the experts at Emerson Bearing can help you identify the right bearing solution for your robotic/automation needs.
Overview of Robotics and AutomationRobotic and automation solutions combine mechanical components with control systems to complete processes and operate machines with little to no human assistance. Early forms of these technologies were used to perform relatively basic functions, such as pick-and-place operations and assembly line welding. However, over the past 40 years, rapid technological advancements have expanded the scope of what can be automated. Robotic and automation technologies now play an integral role in a variety of industrial applications and processes, ranging from manufacturing to finishing to assembly. By integrating them into production operations, manufacturers can increase product quality, resource efficiency (e.g., raw materials, energy, and employees), and manufacturing flexibility, all of which improve overall productivity and profitability.
Key Benefits of Robotic and Automation SolutionsRobotics and automation solutions offer a number of benefits to manufacturers and other industrial companies, including:
- Higher productivity. By utilizing robots and other automated machines for routine and repetitive work, productivity levels can be significantly improved. The technologies can be programmed to operate 24/7 with minimal human supervision.
- Better allocation of human resources.These solutions allow for more efficient allocation of human resources. With the more tedious and repetitive tasks being handled by robotic and automation technologies, human workers can focus on higher-level jobs that require decision making and on-the-job learning.
- Greater workplace safety. Robotic and automation technologies can improve employee safety by eliminating the need for them to work in potentially hazardous conditions (e.g., assembling line welding).
- Faster introduction of new products. Programmable and flexible automation technologies can be reprogrammed quickly and easily to prepare for new products without interrupting ongoing processes.
Bearing Solutions for Production and Warehouse AutomationAt Emerson Bearing, we provide a variety of bearing solutions for production and warehouse automation applications, including:
- Linear motion systems.These products offer high load capacity and long travel life in applications requiring single-direction motion. They are available in metric and inch series and constructed from chrome or stainless steel to fit most linear motion applications.
- Super precision bearings.These chromium steel or stainless steel bearings feature controlled end play and radial runout, which allow them to provide more accurate and precise output. They are rated by the Annular Bearing Engineers Committee (ABEC) of the American Bearing Manufacturers Association (ABMA).
- Cam followers.These pillow blocks/mounted units support bearings outside of machine enclosures. They are an essential component of automated conveyor systems.
- Rod ends.These components are used in the articulation joints of robotic arms. They are classified as either male or female, depending on the design of the threading. Male rod ends feature external threads while their female rod ends have internal threads.